Friday, December 10, 2010

What is meaning? How can I make one in my life? How can I put something meaningful with what I am doing? Do I love what I am doing? Is this what I really want? Do I have a great career waiting for me in the future? Can I be successful?

All this time in our Technopreneurship we are being asked about our passion and what do we want to happen in our lives in the future. I could still think about how I am going to change my life, how I am going to do a 180 degrees turn against my past mind set. I have been thinking about this ever since I have enrolled in this program. Did I make the right choice? Will I be happy on this path I took? Ever since grade school, I already have plans in my life; what course I will take; which path I should take. When I was still young, it was always been my hobby scanning my father’s architectural magazines; I love scanning his portfolios and I love looking at his blue prints of huge buildings. When I grew I bit older, I started to love drawing, designing structures of establishments; it has been my first love designing buildings. I have joined several art workshops and earned awards. At that moment, I have already known what I my heart wants. But sudden twist came into my life. Due to unexpected events, I had no other choice but to take up Bachelor of Science in Information Technology rather than Bachelor of Science in Architecture or Civil Engineering. I had to do a forceful maneuver to move on. It was quite hard for me; it was like taking away my toys; I became heartbroken. But I had nothing to do but to continue and prove to my self that I am versatile. I can do whatever it is that I am asked to do. I was just doing this because I have to not because I want to. Ever since Sir Randy became our facilitator, he keeps on instilling in our minds to know what we want as early as now. He shares things that really motivate us in reaching the summit of success. But since being on this program is not really the thing that I want, how am I going to be successful?

So I was thinking that I have already spent 3 years on this program, there is no turning back. All I did was to accept and to think of something that would make me love this course. Now, I am thinking about what I can do to myself with this path I chose. How can I be successful? How can I make myself happy? How can be useful to my family? How can I be useful in my community? As I go on with this program Sir Randy, a realization suddenly came and made me think that with this course and with my hidden skills, I can make a “thing” that would answer all of my questions. At first, I was able to determine what I love, what I do not love and the things that I can do. I was also able to determine what my purposes are, for me, for my family, for my community and for the whole world. Sir Randy even asked us to think of a techno business, which was sort of new to me.

Since we are still on the “making of a business” node, Sir Randy shown to us a video of a certain guy. That guy was Mr. Guy Kawasaki; he was once an Apple fellow and the director of Garage Technology Ventures, a venture capitalist firm. So what was the video all about? What was he talking about? Everything he said talks about how to make a meaning on entrepreneurship. Why do we have to make a meaning and how important it is to have a meaning on everything that we do. Many people on our generation want money on the easiest and the quickest way they can.

He strongly believes that the essence of entrepreneurship is to make meaning; “if you make meaning, you will probably make money; but you set out to make money, you will probably not make meaning and you won’t make money”. I was struck by what he said. Is making meaning that important in earning money? Since when does “meaning” became a way in making money? I agreed on what he said, if you really think about it, the belief he stated was sensible. People nowadays are into making money. Who else doesn’t? And then they tend to forget about what are his purposes why he came up with such company or business. We make businesses just for our own benefits and not thinking how our business could help others and the community as well.

Mr. Guy Kawasaki stated that there are three main ways to make a “meaning” to your career: increase the quality of life, right a wrong, and prevent the end of something good.

Increase the quality of life

Think of something that would greatly help and increase the quality of life not just for you but for the people around you. When starting a business think of something worthy as your inspiration and think of something big that could be your greatest motivation. As what Mr. Guy Kawasaki said, when they were making the Mac computers, they were motivated not because of the money they are going to earn but because they wanted to unleash the creativity and the skills of the Mac users, the people behind Mac were motivated by thinking how they are going to change people’s lives. It is not that hard to do, right? Instead of thinking how we can get money, let us think on how we are going to change people’s ways of living; let us think of something that will put a big mark on the industry, a legacy that we can be proud of. Through this, we will be genuinely happy and contented for sure. It is great seeing the smiles of people because of what you did for them.

Right a wrong

Observe Philippines for example, if you are a pessimistic person, you will see this country as dirty, not organize and chaotic. And as a starting-up technopreneur, it will be best to think of something that would greatly help this country. Fix something that you think is wrong. Like corruption, abuses, and such; think of something that could end all those. It would not be easy since big people are behind all of the bad things happening but start with small things and slowly pull up and let people hear your heart. And when you find something to end it, it would helpful not just for yourself but for the community where you are at as well. Isn’t it great if you will be one the people who will contribute to the end of crimes in your country? You will be an instant super hero. But yet the essence of helping is the main key for you to achieve the thing that you want.

Prevent the end of something good

Despite all the bad things happening around us, I know we could still see something good beyond all of these. If your will search deeper, you will be able to see things that are amazing and just waiting for us to be seen. If you can see something good, something great, something very useful, do not change it, instead, make something that would improve it and enhance it. Use everything that you think is the best in order to improve yourself as well. Use every resource you could have to start or improve your business. For example, there are still hidden paradise here in the Philippines for sure, instead of invading them and destroy, make something out of it like putting up a resort or a museum that showcases the greatness of our country, in that way, you will be promoting country’s tourism and yet make money out of it.

Mr. Guy Kawasaki highly recommended to at least have one of these three ways if you plan to put up a business or an organization. If you do not have any, take time to think all over again. Having these three ways could help you make a meaning in your business. Through this, you will not grow tired in working on your business since you know that you are doing it because you know you are helping others while you are earning as well.

For me as person, I have also set my own ways on how I am going to make meaning in my own very ways and experiences. So these are: to know what I want, to set my goals, to set my scope, and to determine my purpose.

SET: WHT I WANT

This was one of our activities during Techno 1, it was to determine what we love, what are we best at, and what our irritants are. I was also able to assess myself of what I really wanted to do with my life. Fortunately, I was able to find one that caught my interest and attention. It is not easy seeking for your love and your wants, although its easy when we talk about material things but when it comes to real things in the real world, it would a little harder. So it is really important to determine what you love, what you want and what your interests earlier.

SET: GOALS

Setting up your goals would help us find our paths and never get lost. Setting up goals serves as our map in our journey to our finish line which is the success of our business. These goals will also serve as our reminders and motivation. Every time we see our goals we will be reminded to be more persevered and determined. Every time we see these goals we will be able to know where we are heading and be guided.

SET: SCOPE

Just like in our Programming Management subject, it is really important to determine the scope of your business. In order not to over-do everything, determining the scope of your business will greatly help you in terms of management in time and in cost.

SET: PURPOSE

Knowing your purpose is just the same as setting some goals but it is way more deeper. Knowing what you can do in order to fulfill your purpose is a great achievement already. Having purpose in life also serves as our guide not just in your business but in your life as well. Since I told you that it is way deeper, your purpose should come from your heart and not just from your mind through paper. Fulfilling the purpose of you business is just the same with fulfilling half of your purpose in life. That is why determining your purpose and fulfilling them is a necessity and it is also a key to eternal and guanine happiness.

These are just my own list to make my own meaning. Different people have different perspective in life, which is why we have to look on both sides in order to avoid misconceptions and misunderstandings. I also highly recommend to apply Mr. Guy Kawasaki’s ways to find meaning, it is very easy to understand and very easy to apply. Its message is very clear and meaningful as what I have said. Apply at least one will help you find your own meaning and having the real happiness would be very easy.

WHAT I LEARNED?

Money is not everything. Meaning is everything. We cannot have money all the time but we can make meaning with every move we make and every breath we take. When you already found your meaning on things that you do, then you are doing the right thing and you are on the right path. I know sometimes we tend to get lost on the track but having a certain meaning could help you get back and move on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment