Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Day 2

The 2nd day begins with a 5:00am wakeup call and 6:00am assembly time. It was quite hard for me because I got used to wake up on 7am and now I am asked to wake up 4:30am. Gosh! But thank God I was able to. It is time for our breakfast. We went to Grills and Sizzles at Examiner Street, Quezon City near President Noynoy Aquino’s house. I really loved the food there, so much!


Today, we went to
the University of the Philippines Diliman Campus, for the USEP-UP Information Technology Symposium; actually it was an extended version of the Youth 4 IT seminar last September that unfortunately we were not able to attend. Sea Change International and IBM Philippines at the UP Ayala Techno Hub at Commonwealth Avenue.

The program at UP started at around 9:00 am and ended at around 12 noon. The program went smoothly with the following topics presented: Writing a Winning Thesis by Miss Rose Anne Sale, Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs by Mr. John Boaz Lee, Personal Learning Environments by Miss Michelle Lee Moscatel, Animation by Miss Len Degracia, Mobile Device Game Development by Professor Carlos Bott, and Empowering the Nation Thru Educational Technologies by Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan.


What I have learned?


I have learned a lot from those presentations at the symposium. Although it became a little boring in the middle part because there are things discussed that was out of my thinking capacity. And I really tried my best to understand everything that’s why I ended up with an empty mind. Although there were some things that stacked in my mind, failures don’t make an end in your career, it even makes you fight more to succeed. One speaker said that it is not necessary to be an IT graduate or a graduate of any IT-related course to make your own game and succeed, it only needs your determination and willingness to learn and make something out of your creativity. So if we fail, like what we are experiencing now, never ever lose hope, instead find out what made us fail and make something that will help us get rid of it and pass next time. In Writing a Winning Thesis, Ms. Rose Anne Sale showed us their group thesis, which was the Kine Spell 2. It was amazing. She said that it was not an easy adventure. In writing a thesis, keeping an open-mind is important. We may fail many times, but never ever let those failures be a hindrance to what you really want to achieve. For a thesis, it’s not easy, even looking for a thesis topic is hard what more if you’re going to implement it? Hard work and patience is a must.

At Sea Change International, I have learned that they are one of the largest software companies worldwide. They were the ones who created the multi-screen video software is now being used in other countries. It provides innovative solutions and services for back office, advertising, content, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally. They have shown us sample software where you could watch tv while other updates are flashing on your screen. And I mean updates from the internet. They said that the software that they are now currently making can do pause and play when you are watching your favorite shows live. It is like a computer where it has a storage device that saves up every show you are watching, it make me interested because I am fond of watching tv series. Aside from this product, they also provide different services like: on demand solutions like broadband, advanced advertising solutions like linear insertions and dynamic VOD ad insertion, broadcast television where it helps broadcasters operate more efficiently than ever before, personalized applications and other services like content or media, professional and educational.

The next company we visited was the IBM, the famous IBM. IBM or International Business Machines is one of the biggest IT company in the world. They used to do business with computers but now they are dealing with computer software and helping young technopreneurs to create something out of their skills and be successful in the IT world. That what amazes me, when you have something in mind, like software and you needed support for it be brought to life, you can simply go to IBM and ask for their support and voila, you could have your own IT company. Great, isn’t it? I have also learned that they have this advocacy called “Smarter Planet” that focuses on developing initiatives to address specific societal issues, such as the environment, community economic development, education, health, literacy, language and culture. They employ IBM's most valuable resources, their technology and talent, in order to create innovative programs in these areas to assist communities around the world.


What I liked?


I really like having seminars that talk about something that I can relate to. It easily catches my attention and whenever I see women that are very successful, it gives me a little kick and makes have the determination and perseverance to go on and do best as I take this path now.

I also liked the people in Sea Change, they were really nice; they even encouraged us to work there because there is an unlimited supply of drinks. Haha. But honestly, I felt comfortable when we were there. They were very accommodating and friendly. I really love the ambiance inside their offices; it was like I was in another country.

At IBM, I liked it when they are giving away IBM stuffs like bags and etc. I also liked their speaker; she was so bright and attentive. Very funny as well.

At UP Research groups and labs, I loved their computers! I really liked how UP molds their students to become one of the bests.

We were also able to pass by Pinoy Big Brother house and took some pictures. After it, we had a great dinner at Tramway Restaurant in Timog Avenue.


What I didn’t like?


The things that I did not like on that day were that we were not able to follow our schedule, we ended the presentations almost 12 noon and when we were about to eat our lunch still at UP campus, the seats and tables were not enough to cater all of us, we were like eating in an eatery near USEP, I really hated it and I ended up seating with other people that I don’t know.

We ended way beyond our schedule and we still have to go to Trinoma to do some side-tripping and a little shopping. Unfortunately, it was almost closing time when we arrive there so we were in extreme speed when we got inside. We just bought a jag of mineral water for us to drink when we are in the hotel and then we went out. The door where we went in was already closed we have to look for another way, we saw Sir Jappeht, so we decided to follow him, thinking that he knows where he was going. The funny thing was, he didn’t know where he was going. So were like, oh my, where are we? Good thing there were guards around the mall and we asked where the parking lot for buses is located, and fortunately, we were able to go back to the buses. It was a great experience though. Hehe.

End of Day 2.


0 comments:

Post a Comment