Wednesday, October 20, 2010

By reading the commencement address of Steve Jobs, there was a little change that happened into my views in life. I find Steve Jobs’ commencement address influential and encouraging especially for those less fortunate who are not able to finish college or even get into college. It was a direct push on pursuing what you want and fulfilling what you have been dreaming for. Thinking about Steve Jobs himself, I find him as an amazing and very brave as a career person. He is amazing in a way that he was able to put up a big company like Apple even though he did not finish college. Even though he said that he was not genius, he was still able to think on his moves in order to succeed.

It is not all about the brain alone but guts and courage are needed the most. Even though you are the most genius person on earth, when you don not have the guts, all of the thoughts in your brain will be useless. All people can think, but not all can act on what he/she is thinking. Once you think of doing something, fear comes along that is when bravery is needed. You should be brave and fierce on taking the road you have been thinking about. Personally, I have a lot of aspirations and dreams. But I really think that all of it would not come true. I am a negative person. I am good at formulating plans and ideas first then freaks out when the real thing is in front of me. I am scared of taking risk and getting rejected that is why I prefer to hide on my shell, which is I know a big no-no when you are already engaged on the business world.


Courage was one of the things that popped out in my mind. Where did Steve Jobs take all the courage and bravery from? Thinking about it brings a big wow to me. It is not easy quitting school to pursue on what you want that you cannot do in there. It is a huge risk, and not all the risks that we have to take are going to end up successfully. It would result success, if not, to failure. And failure is one the things we are afraid of. We are scared to lose something that is why we tend to keep our mouths shut and do nothing. Steve Jobs was like the opposite of that. He was eager to take risks even though he will lose a lot and pursued on what he thinks that would good for him. And that is what amazes me most. The thought of the willingness to take risk and whether there is a big to lose and yet end up being successful.


Opportunities are everywhere but the good ones are rare. So if that good opportunity comes along, you should grab it and make it your best to do well on what path you chose. There is no easy way to success; it would be a long, rough, zigzag road on reaching the finish line. The journey would be very tiring and stressful, but try to look on what surrounds you. Just like reaching the top of a mountain, if you keep your mind of to the top, you won’t be able to appreciate the beautiful things you are passing through. If we are to relate it to the real world, it would be like, play around, and have fun but do not lose your focus on your goals. It would feel great when you reach the finish line and you had fun on your way to it. Just like Steve Jobs, he never let his focus get off the prize and yet he still has the time to check on the things that surrounds him. Everybody wants to have fun, but most of the people who play a lot forget his/her purpose. That is why sometimes there a lot of opportunities that are wasted.


Knowing your purpose is a must. By setting on what your purpose is, it would be easier for you to be successful. Since you are settled, your thoughts would not be chaotic, so there will be less time wasted. Setting up a purpose is not easy as well as fulfilling them. It is very hard on determining what you like and what you do not. Since we are still on the exploring age, listing all the things that we like to do would take up the whole day to be done. Like me, I cannot point out on what I wanted to do because there are a lot of things that I personally wanted to do. When asked on what my purpose is, I cannot really tell. I always say “my purpose is to fulfill my dreams.” The next question would be what is my dream? Then I would go back to thinking.


Going back to the commencement address, Steve Jobs shared 3 stories. And within those stories are the amazing journey Steve Jobs. The first story was about connecting the dots. He shared his story on what his life before and how he began and how he ended up with his company. I find that story quite unbelievable and amazing. It really showed that the road to success is smooth and an easy ride. But with guts, courage and a great mind, he was able to surpass all the obstacles on his way to success. The second story was about love and loss. It would be an advantage if you would know what loved to do early in life. They hired a very talented person and the next thing was he got kicked out of his own company. So it is possible to lose something as big as Jobs’ company if you are just going to sit around and watch. You have to do something to improve not just your company but as to yourself as well. And the third story was about death. We never until when we are going to live. This is simple, live as if it is you last day. Through this, you would be able to do something you have not thought ever since.

“Stay hungry. Stay foolish.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment